Ways to Give
Individual membership: $50+
Family membership: $75+
Make a one-time donation
Simply fill out the form below.
Become a member by donating over $50!
Become a Sustainer
- Sustainers schedule automatic gifts through credit cards or automatic bank payments (EFTs).
- To set up credit card payments, fill out the form below and click “I would like this donation to repeat each month”.
- To set up EFTs, simply contact your bank.
Join the Leadership Circle
- Annual payments of $500+ or monthly
payments of $42+ entitle an individual to join the Leadership Circle.
- Members of the Leadership Circle enjoy unique experiences to get outdoors, to gain detailed insights about existing plans, and to share ideas about conservation in our region.
THANK YOU to all who participated in Giving Tuesday -
we met our $20,000 challenge match!
Learn more about the projects your contributions help fund below.
The East Quabbin Land Trust is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization, recognized by the Internal Revenue Service. All gifts made to EQLT are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law and directly impact the land conservation and community character of the East Quabbin region.
MORE WAYS TO GIVE
Donations by Checks: Checks should be made payable to the East Quabbin Land Trust or EQLT. Please download and fill out the Donation Form and mail to: East Quabbin Land Trust, P.O. Box 5, Hardwick, MA 01037
NEW – Donate a vehicle: You can donate a vehicle to EQLT by visiting www.careasy.org and clicking on the “Choose a Nonprofit” option in the main navigation bar. Then select East Quabbin Land Trust and complete the secure, online form. You can also call toll-free 855-500-RIDE (7433) seven days a week during CARS’ regular hours of operation, and the CARS Vehicle Donor Support Team will walk you through the donation form and help arrange for your free pick-up. CARS tries to accept all types of vehicles (running or not) including cars, trucks, trailers, boats, RVs, motorcycles, campers, off-road vehicles, planes, heavy equipment, farm machinery, and most other motorized vehicles.
Gifts of Securities: Making a gift of securities immediately impacts the conservation programming of the East Quabbin Land Trust. Gifts of appreciated securities benefit the donor in two ways: 1) the full-market value of the securities is tax-deductible and 2) if the securities have appreciated in value, capital gains taxation can be avoided.
Beneficiary Designation: An easy way to contribute a specific dollar amount or percentages without altering a will or requiring legal services is by naming the East Quabbin Land Trust as a primary beneficiary of a life insurance policy or any qualified retirement account. Completing a change of beneficiary form, provided from the insurance company or plan custodian, is all that is required.
Making a Bequest: A gift of land, cash or securities through a will or comprehensive estate plan allows for a reduction of inheritance taxes. This will accomplish the protection of family lands or additional conservation initiatives of the land trust. Making a gift to the East Quabbin Land Trust through a bequest in a will and/or a revocable living trust allows the donor to decide how his/her estate will be distributed. A charitable donation through a bequest also lowers the potential estate tax liability and focuses on directing financial resources to one or more chosen charitable organization. There are several types of bequests, and donors are urged to discuss their plans with an attorney or financial advisor before any decisions are made. In addition, consult with the East Quabbin Land Trust before executing a will or living trust to be certain that your goals are met.
Gift of a Conservation Restriction: A Conservation Restriction (CR) is a legal agreement between a landowner and a conservation organization whereby the landowner retains ownership of the land but surrenders the right to develop the land. CR’s are permanent and remain in effect when the land is sold or inherited. Several advantages to the donor who makes a gift of a Conservation Restriction include:
- A landowner retains ownership of the land and may continue to live on it, sell it, or pass it to heirs,
- A CR can be written to meet the needs of the landowner, while protecting the property’s natural and historic resources,
- The donation is a tax-deductible gift, provided that the CR is perpetual and is donated for “conservation purposes,”
- A CR reduces the property value and therefore can lower estate taxes, sometimes enabling heirs to keep the land in their family, and
- An easement may lower property taxes since the assessed value of the land may be decreased.
EQLT encourages all donors to consult with an attorney or tax professional when considering a gift of a CR.
Gift of Land: Under special circumstances, a landowner may want to make an outright donation of land to EQLT. Communities across the country are enjoying nature preserves, recreation areas, and other open space because of the foresight and generosity of landowners who have made such gifts. There are two significant advantages to the landowner:
- The gift may provide a substantial income tax deduction based on the fair market value of the land as determined by a qualified appraisal, and
- The capital gains tax is eliminated.
A landowner’s gift of property to EQLT is protected and managed in accordance with the donor’s wishes. EQLT encourages all donors to consult with an attorney or tax professional when considering a gift of land.
If you have any questions regarding a gift to the East Quabbin Land Trust, please contact Cynthia Henshaw, Executive Director at 413-477-8229.