Feed on
Posts
Comments
Wendemuth Meadow from the air. Photo taken by Burchard Aviation 2014.

Wendemuth Meadow from the air. Photo taken by Burchard Aviation 2014.

Working together, we’re on the verge of preserving this beautiful place forever. Please join us! Every dollar you donate now will be doubled. A generous local benefactor will match every donation made by June 30, 2015, up to $4,000. This would mean an additional $8,000 towards meeting our goal. There’s only $10,000 to go!

Conservation of Wendemuth Meadow Preserve is well underway. The East Quabbin Land Trust and the Town of North Brookfield have partnered to make this happen. EQLT owns the property, and North Brookfield will hold the Conservation Restriction on the land. The Town received a Massachusetts Local Acquisitions for Natural Diversity (LAND) grant that will cover 68% of the Conservation Restriction acquisition cost. Your financial gift, which can be made by using the PayPal button below, will go towards the remaining 32%, with an overall local gifts goal of $50,000. To date, the Friends of Wendemuth Meadow have raised $40,000 for this effort!

Wendemuth Meadow Preserve is a 30-acre property in the town of North Brookfield, acquired by the East Quabbin Land Trust in 2014.  It is a pastoral property featuring a diversity of habitats including hayfield, wet meadow, and stream surrounded by patchy woods and shrubland. The property is actively farmed and hay is harvested after Bobolinks and other important birds have completed their nesting cycle within the grasslands in early summer.  Click here for a topographic trail map.

The East Quabbin Land Trust encourages visitors to all of its preserves. Please be respectful of the land and other visitors.  EQLT has several policies that guide use of the land, including a Dog Walking PolicyHunting and Fishing Policy and Recreational Trail Use Policy. We encourage you to go explore Wendemuth Meadow.

 


Support the Wendemuth Meadow Project



Visitors are welcome to visit and walk the trails which skirt along the edge of the hayfields and provide panoramic views of the meadows and beyond. Opportunities abound to observe songbirds, butterflies, dragonflies, and wildflowers of dry and wet meadows. Eastern Bluebirds, Common Bobolinks, American Kestrels and Savannah Sparrows are just a few of the interesting birds found here. The wetlands found on the property are of statewide significance and support unusual plant species including the wetland herb, Canada Burnett. The wetlands are part of the headwaters of Coy Brook.

IMG_2392webA large grey barn sits atop a grassy knoll along Bates Street and attests to the property’s long history of farming.  Beautiful stone walls, stone lined ditches, cisterns, and other features are readily observed along the trails and portray the hard work and meticulous care of the Wendemuth Family in tending the land.

The trail is open year round and marked with blue diamond tags. Parking is roadside along Bates Street. Plans for 2015 include installing an informational kiosk and expanding the trail loop to connect with the Town Forest on the south side of McCarthy Road in North Brookfield.

Comments are closed.